How to clean a shaggy rug?
Shaggy rugs are thick fabric rugs characterised by a longer pile length. They are also called ‘Noodles’ due to their noodle-like shape. Many people choose them due to their soft texture and relaxed and casual feel. They are stylish and luxurious in appearance and are durable and can be easily maintained. They are available in a wide variety of shapes and colours. In spite of all these advantages, their cleaning is a very challenging task especially if they are made of wool and silk. That is why, here is the ultimate guide for How To Clean A Shaggy Rug which helps completely in removing pet hair, deep-seated dirt, and stains.
How to clean a shaggy rug? A Step-by-step Cleaning Guide
After prolonged use, lots of dust and dirt gets accumulated inside your shaggy rug due to heavy traffic and many other reasons, thereby, making it dull in appearance. Thus, here is the step-by-step guide to cleaning your rug and for regular maintenance. It is given below:
- Gather essential tools and other materials: For the cleaning to be started, you must have some necessary tools like a Vacuum cleaner with a brush attached to it, for the removal of accumulated dust and other debris on the rug, a mild detergent with warm water and a soft cloth for blotting of stain, clean towels, a broom or a soft bristle brush to remove any trapped dirt and debris that may have missed by the vacuum cleaner, white vinegar, and a film or protective mat to be placed beneath the rug while cleaning. After gathering all these tools, clean the area and remove all the accessories inside your room to make it empty for rug cleaning.
- Shaking and vacuuming: Take out your rug and shake it as it loosens all the dust and debris and removes it. After this attach the brush with your vacuum cleaner and remove the trapped dirt by vacuuming in the direction of the fibres from both sides.
- Spot cleaning: In case of spots and stains, quickly blot the affected area with a clean towel or paper towel to remove the excess water. Make a clear solution of mild detergent in warm water and apply a small amount of it over the stains to make sure that it does not cause any discolouration or damage. Then apply it with a soft sponge or cloth to blot the stain without spreading as it will cause damage to the rug fibres. Rinse it with clean water and keep it dry.
- Deep cleaning: For deep cleaning a shaggy rug, you must check and first determine the type of rug, some are hand washable while some are machine washable. If it is washable then make a solution of mild detergent and warm water in a large tub and gently rub the rug inside it without twisting it, Then rinse it with clean water and keep it dry. In the case of machine washable rugs, take cold water in a large capacity washing machine with a mild detergent on the basis of the fabric of the shrug. Wash it properly and keep it dry.
- Drying: After all the cleaning procedures, dry the rug by laying it on a flat and clean surface and dry it in a well-ventilated area without any direct exposure to sunlight as it may cause fading. Immediate drying prevents the growth of moulds and mildews on it.
By following the above steps, you can always make your rug clean and luxurious.
Preventive Measures For Proper Maintenance Of Your Rug
Cleaning is a one-time procedure for the elimination of dirt and dust from it, but you have to follow some of the preventive measures that you can always use for proper maintenance of your rug. By using these measures, you can always make your rug look delicate and luxurious. Some of the preventive measures and tips are given below:
- Vacuum regularly
To prevent the accumulation of dust and dirt, you have to vacuum your rugs regularly, at least once a week with the help of a rotating brush or vacuum cleaner. This will also remove pet hairs and dirt from the deep fibres.
- Remove shoes
You and your family members should make it a habit to permanently remove your shoes before entering your home. Also, tell your guests to do it. This will prevent a huge amount of dust from coming inside and prevent your rug from getting dirty.
- Always do brushing and grooming
Regular grooming and brushing prevent the trapping of dirt and other debris into your rug, thereby, making it clean and fluffy.
- Use a rug pad
First of all, it makes a barrier between your rug and the floor that helps in the prevention of the setting of dirt and dust under it. This also prevents slipping and sliding and makes it comfortable to walk on.
- Clean spills immediately
It is a gentle and protective behaviour to clean all the spills as soon as it occurs to prevent them from soaking into the rug fibres. Avoid rubbing as it may cause stains to absorb deep into the rug.
- Rotate the rug
By rotating the rug, foot traffic is evenly distributed and prevents the rug from wear and tear.
How Often Should You Clean Your Shaggy Rug?
You can clean your shaggy rug properly to prevent it from dust and dirt that get easily trapped inside the fibres of the rug. There is no recommended day to clean a rug but in general, you can clean a rug at least every six months. This will give the best results and prevent all types of damage as it maintains the quality and appearance and improves the shelf life.
How to Clean a Shaggy Rug? The above step-by-step guide gives you an idea about How To Clean A Shaggy Rug in the best possible ways that provide you with deep cleaning. Some preventive measures are also suggested for the cleaning and maintenance of rugs. It is best to clean the rugs every six months. But for deep cleaning of rugs, hiring professionals is the safest and most effective way.